Final Post

As my yoga journey is coming to an end I realize that while yoga ma be for many people, it is not for me. I can not wrap my head around around it and the movements. However, I did fall in love with meditation. I looked back on my posts and found the one where I really began to love it....

"So here we are again doing the thing I love to do, meditate! I posted a few weeks ago how this really helped me stay calm in a crazy time in my life. Meditation is definitely a huge part of my yoga practice. Once I got over my perceptions of it and realized how helpful and life saving it was, I try to practice it as much as I can. In class today we had someone come in a help us do a meditation practice. I fell asleep. BUT before that I felt so calm. I really enjoyed what he spoke about before the meditation also and use it in my everyday life. He said something along the lines of the more you avoid suffering, the more prominent it becomes and instead you need to face it head on. That really stuck with me. My life has been a crazy one and Ive been through a lot for someone my age. A few years ago I was diagnosed with skin cancer, Melanoma. My life since then has been different because I have to be so careful everyday the sun touches my body. I am covered in not the prettiest of scars and I always had a hard time with that. After listening to what he was saying I realized that I have to accept that this is the way I am now and not run from it. In the Hatah Yoga Pradipika it takes about how the main goal is to illuminate physical practice and integrate it with meditation. This was interesting to me because when I think about meditation I do not put physical practice along with it."

This post was from a few weeks ago and I still feel the same way. I really feel as though meditation has made me more calm and in tune with my emotions. I never was great at expressing myself and I realize it was because I was never sure on what I was even feeling. I have since become better at breathing and that has helped me relax when I am feeling a little crazy.  When this class started and we were told we had to do yoga every week on our own and blog about it, ill admit I wasn't too thrilled. Towards the end I became fine with it as it blended in with my weekly routines.

I believe that although I was not too crazy about it, that there is definitely a huge following for it in the US. Almost every girl I know practices yoga, but I wonder why it only is the girls. Yoga is a great practice if you can get in to it. However, it is marketed more towards and almost entirely for women. Every yoga commercial is a women wearing some sort of tight Lulu Lemon spandex. I think that for more men would do yoga if it wasn't marketed in such a feminine way.

Overall, my yoga journey was interesting, fun, tiring, and exciting. It was fun for me to test the limits and see what worked for me and what didn't. Maybe in the future I will come back to it and give it another shot, but for now ill stick to meditation.















Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Iyengar Yoga

And Again